Marshall McLuhan, 1911-1980
Herbert Marshall McLuhan with his parents
Born July 21st in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
B.A., University of Manitoba.
M.A., University of Manitoba.
Taught at the University of Wisconsin.
Taught at the University of St. Louis.
M.A., Cambridge University.
Married Corinne Lewis of Fort Worth, Texas.
Ph.D., Cambridge University.
Taught at Assumption University, Windsor, Ontario.
Taught at St. Michael's College, University of Toronto.
The Mechanical Bride: Folklore of Industrial Man.
Chairman of Ford Foundation Seminar on Culture and Communication.
Co-editor of "Explorations Magazine" along with
Edmund S. Carpenter.
Director of Media Project for National Association of
Educational Broadcasters, and Office of Education, U.S.A.
Won the Governor General's Award.
- Appointment by the President of The University of Toronto
to create a new Centre for Culture and Technology (to
study the psychic and social consequences of technologies
Director of the Centre for Culture and Technology.
Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man.
Honorary degree from University of Windsor, D.Litt.
Honorary degree from Assumption University, D.Litt.
The Medium is The Massage with visual outlay
by Quentin Fiore
- Honorary degree from The University of Manitoba, D.Litt.
- Honorary degree from Simon Fraser University, LL.D.
- Honorary degree from Grinnell University, Iowa, D.Litt.
- Received Honorary Award in Culture and Communications
from Niagara University, New York.
- Molson Award for outstanding achievement in the Social
Appointment to the Albert Schweitzer Chair in the Humanities,
Fordham University, New York.
Honorary degree from St. John Fischer College, Lit. Hum.
- Appointment as a Champion of the Order of Canada.
- Received the Institute of Public Relations President's
Award, Great Britain.
- Honorary degree from The University of Alberta, LL.D.
- Received the Christian Culture Award, Assumption University,
- Gold Medal Award from the President of the Italian Republic
at Rimini, Italy, in recognition of original work as philosopher
of the mass media.
- Honorary degree from The University of Western Ontario,
- President's Cabinet Award, University of Detroit.
Vatican appointment as consultor of the Pontifical Commission
for Social Communications.
The passing of Marshall McLuhan